Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Farewell my friend


Oh how sad I was to read all the horrible information about plastic. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my plastic. I always drink out of plastic cups and so do my girls, but not anymore. I have thrown away all of my plastic and have replaced it with glass. Ofcourse I can't get rid of all plastic (what would I do w/out ziploc?) but the little i do have i will not put it in the dishwasher or microwave and replace it often! I bought my kids some new cups from sigg (yikes they cost a fortune but I found a 30% off coupon) and corelle bowls and thrown out everything else. I also went to sams and got a bunch of glass storage containers. I first found the info on 4 little men's blog, i love her blog and it is so informative. One thing I did wonder is I have some plates that are made out of melamine, does anyone know if that is safe? The only thing I could find was as long as you don't microwave or put in dishwasher it was okay. I am starting with plastic and on to organic food. I am trying to slowly change things for the better... I have learned so much since beginning blogging. Thanks to elaine for introducing our playgroup to this world :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't ditched all of my plastic yet. Although I do not put it in the microwave or dishwasher, I still give Ben snacks in a plastic bowl on occasion. Gav does eat at the wood table now.

I don't know about melamime (sp?). That would be good to know.

Thanks for the "shout out!" Glad you are havin' fun bloggin'!

Homegrown Tribe said...

So glad you stopped by my blog. And thanks for the link. :) I'll get you added to mine.

You have an ADORABLE family!

it's so hard... but it's so fun picking out new stuff. Especially for someone like who is addicted to goodwill. ha!

talk to you soon.

Brittany

Natalie said...

I am getting up right now to trash David's Khaki's plastic cups!

Natalie said...

okay, i talked kirstyn into trashing all of her plastic forks and spoons! i'm really glad you posted this...some of them even just said 'made in china'! ugh... on to look for more things in the house that are killing us slowly...

Rachel said...

I just recently read about all the plastic troubles... yikes! Having kids without plastic is hard, but sounds worth it.

Your girls are precius!

Miss Lisa said...

Hi! I found you on Elaine's site :)
I got my kiddos SIGG water bottles (me too) in January. You'll really like them. Where did you the coupon?
I've gotten rid of most the plastic but we are still working on sippy cups--the SIGG bottles I have that don't leak are too difficult for the baby to operate and the ones that twist get left open and leak :(
For organics--concentrate on the animal products and then move onto fruit/veggies. There's a great list about what is OK as non-organic. I don't have it on me but I do know strawberries are a must for organic. (We've been organic for a while and I promise you will see a difference!)
Great blog :)

Valley Mom said...

Hi there, about melamine... I was wondering the same thing as I had just bought my son a funky set of melamine dishes... from what I read online, it's made from formaldehyde and synthetic urine or something... gross enough to make me want to stop using it personally! I now use the dishes to store non-food items like toiletries instead.